One of our Portland MOGO members, Michael, is eager to explore compassion with others, so he is creating a mini-compassion studies group here in Portland, Oregon. See details below, and contact Michael if you’re interested in participating:
“…in order to understand the place of Compassion in our lives, we must look in a radically different direction…that through Compassion our humanity grows into its fullness.” ~ quoted from the book Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life
If you long to look in that direction, to understand Compassion as deeply as is possible, I invite you to join with us in exploring the meaning and celebrating the truth of Compassion in our lives. We will study texts about Compassion, relate our experiences with Compassion and help each other to imagine, and thereby manifest, a world filled with Compassion.
Our reading list will include:
- Compassion: A Reflection on the Christian Life
- Compassionate Action
- Radical Compassion. Finding Christ in the Heart of the Poor
- Compassion: Listening to the Cries of the World
- Ordinary Grace: An Examination of the Roots of Compassion, Altruism, and Empathy and the Ordinary Individuals Who Help Others in Extraordinary Ways
- Paradigm Conspiracy: Why Our Social Systems Violate Human Potential — And How We Can Change Them
and many others.
Our approach is both religious and secular, drawing from all religions and philosophies to understand as much as possible about Compassion from any and all sources and to learn from each other the deepest meanings of Compassion. I have set up “registering” for this Compassion Studies group through PledgeBank. I am looking for at least three other people to join me and pledge to attend 4 meetings together. Please register for this free study group by October 20, 2008. Thanks, Michael
(You can click on the PledgeBank link to sign up for the group and/or to contact Michael.)